Selby Shrooms does not encourage the uninformed collection or consumption of wild mushrooms.
The point of our blog is not to suggest that all of these species are reliably safe to pick in the wild and eat. This blog is more a collection of taxonomical information about species of interest - some of which do have a traditional heritage of being described as edible species but some that are just of interest generally - rather than the promoting or advocating of the consumption of wild mushrooms.
It is up to you and you only to get the proper identification and confirmation of edibility.
There are wild mushrooms that are poisonous – some with potentially fatal consequences. The differences between potentially edible and potentially fatally poisonous mushrooms can be in many cases quite minor and the collection and consumption of wild mushrooms can have inherent risk.
Many of the species commonly sought or collected for consumption in Australia do not directly fit identification keys from American or Europe and mushrooms collected in Australia that look very similar to known edibles in Europe or America may not actually be the same species.
Further, recent research suggests that some wild mushrooms with a history of collection and consumption in Europe – such as Tricholoma terreum – may contain previously undetected toxic constituents or other types of toxins that may bioaccumulate over time or have poisonous effects after repeated consumption.
A general rule of thumb is that unless a collector is 110% certain of the identification of a mushroom they should not even consider consuming it.